Your new company
We are looking for a Principal Engineer to join the Kennecott Projects & Engineering (P&E) Team. The purpose of this role is to set the vision and engage in strategies that protect, maintain, and secure flexible mining and processing activities, creates incremental value and reduces risk. The Principal Engineer will manage relationships with key internal stakeholders to deliver those strategies. This work is performed with attention to supporting immediate operations while also complying with Kennecott project governance standards. Delivering support to Kennecott operations includes 1) management of diverse team of project managers and construction coordinators 2) compliance with laws, regulations, and permit conditions 3) monitoring project spend and performance 4) conformance to Rio Tinto performance standards 5) identification of projects and engagement with stakeholders to develop, plan, support and implement projects.
Your new role
Reporting to the P&E Manager –Minerals, you will be coordinating with plants and projects in a heavily regulated and highly complex US regulatory setting, including but not limited to:
What you'll need to succeed
- Ensuring safety systems are being implemented across all projects and safety requirements are placed into all activities and tasks.
- Supervising project staff and contractors to ensure understanding and compliance with Rio Tinto and RTKC standards and to ensure project cost, schedule, quality, and safety objectives are met
- Administrative supervision of staff including development and assessment, training, mentoring, coaching, performance management, and compliance with policies and standards
- Providing guidance to staff for a variety of projects and technologies that will require you to leverage engineering, business, and cross functional team management skills
- Regularly interfacing with the project sponsors and senior management at assigned plants – manage steering committees as necessary
- Delivering the project and business cases by presenting the results that meet technical, quality, cost and schedule requirements as per the lifecycle stages
- Ability to read and understand complex mechanical, structural, and civil engineering plans and specifications.
- Ensure resourcing, procurement, contract management, and progress reporting are completed.
- Ability to forecast project/portfolio spend based on a variety of factors including contractor forecasting vs. burn rates, procurement scheduling, etc.
- Ensuring appropriate corrective actions are taken where necessary for project quality, safety, cost, schedule, and staff performance
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
What you'll get in return
- A Bachelor’s degree in electrical, civil, mechanical, environmental, or related mining experience
- 5-10 years’ experience of progressive responsibility in engineering, project management, or others roles related to mining
- PMP Preferred
- Demonstrated ability in task organization and time management
- Strong demonstrated ability in effective communication (verbal and written) with various stakeholders at all levels of an organization
We are committed to providing our employees with a generous benefits package. Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking, your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress, we provide:
What you need to do now
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- Advantageous salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP) for eligible employees
- Access to top-tier family-friendly health programs including medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, life insurance coverage, and various voluntary benefits.
- Excellent retirement plan including up to 6% defined company contribution; Generous 401k matching program
- Comprehensive leave policies which cover all moments that matter in life: PTO (paid time off), paid holidays, and paid bereavement leave.
- A favorable child-caregiver leave program (Up to 100% salary top-up)
- Discount programs for leisure purposes and access to Virgin Pulse with incentives supporting your wellbeing
- Ongoing Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for you and your family; to help in addressing educational opportunities, addiction treatment, depression, stress, domestic issues, financial management, and legal concerns.
- Our team and industry experts are here to support and work with you to explore your learning potential and career goals
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career. #1142963